Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wings!


Tonight I made spicy wings, adapting this recipe I found on Simply Recipes. I had most of the ingredients on hand, and substituted the rest. The finished product was good enough that I will try it again, with more of the correct ingredients!


Here's how I made the recipe:

- I used 1 1/2 leeks instead of scallions
- I used a fresh jalapeno and some ground cayenne pepper instead of 1/2 habanero or Scotch Bonnet chile (or 3 serrano chilies)
- I used chicken wings instead of chicken dumsticks

The Verdict:
These wings were really really delicious. I love the combination of the allspice, thyme, garlic, and hot chile, with the onion base. I have no idea how anyone could figure out to combine these herbs/spices but they deserve a medal, imo. I always love a recipe that uses herbs from the garden. And I really wish I'd planted hot chiles this year.

The next time I make these, I will use the scallions and a hotter chile pepper, and the flavor will have more freshness and punch. The leeks were a little too subtle for this recipe.

No comments: