Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad

Ah, Fall! Thank you for the abundance of orange foods - pumpkins, butternut squash, sweet potatoes - and a plethora of ways to enjoy them. Sweet potatoes are most commonly prepared to emphasize their sweetness, with added brown sugar and cinnamon, but they can be fantastic in a spicy, savory dish, such as Mark Bittman's Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad.

n.o.e.'s notes:

- I didn't have red bell pepper, so used an orange one. It tasted the same, but wasn't as pretty.

- To amp up the heat, I threw in some additional chopped hot peppers.

- Just in case we might find the citrus overwhelming, I added half the lime juice.

- This versatile dish can be served warm or cold

the verdict:

I had high hopes for this salad, and it met and exceeded them! Despite the extra peppers that I added, there wasn't a ton of heat in this dish, but it was flavorful and delicious. I love that it can be served at any temperature, and can serve as a filling lunch or a side dish at Thanksgiving.

9 comments:

Steph said...

I never thought about having sweet potato in salad. It's so yummy, sweet potato works with everything!

I like the simplicity of this salad!

Jessica said...

This salad looks really tasty. I don't care for sweet potatoes in their candied version, but I love eating them in a savory dish. I can't wait to try this for lunch or dinner soon.

Ari (Baking and Books) said...

I love the combination of sweet potatoes and black beans. I like to use it in quesadillas for a quick dinner. :)

Unknown said...

This salad looks really pretty! I love colorful dishes. I prefer my sweet potatoes on the sweet side with lots of brown sugar but maybe I should expand my horizons a bit and try them in a savory dish!

chow and chatter said...

oh what a great and novel way to serve sweet potatoes love it

Karine said...

Great use of sweet potatoes! Thanks for sharing :)

Sarah said...

Looks delicious! I love the combination of sweet potatoes and black beans, and this looks like a wonderful way to enjoy them!

NKP said...

What a healthy and delicious salad! It fits in perfectly with how we are eating lately.

Kayte said...

This looks delightful and I am thinking I should try this one very soon. The colors are wonderful!